Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thing #16

I went into Book Lovers Wiki, http://booklovers.pbwiki.com/Princeton+Public+Library, since I'm an avid book lover. I quickly found out on the main page that this wiki is no longer active but is left as an archive page. So that in itself is disappointing.

The Contemporary Fiction section caught my attention and I wanted to read the reviews interesting, but I really didn't see anything that spiked my attention. I think it's because a lot of the books I've already read and since it's no longer an active site - then really they're not very contemporary..


So then I went into Librarianchicks Wiki Collection, http://librarianchick.pbwiki.com/, and thankfully found that this is an active wiki. Yay! :)

The great thing about this wiki is that Library Chick provides links to free resources on the Internet. So I scrolled down the list of subjects and quickly clicked on Foreign Language. Wow! This is really handy - Library Chick provides a great list of internet links that provide free foreign language tutorials - either video, dictonary, online communities, etc. This is a good resource for our library community because we have a lot of ESL learners and they need all the resources they can get. I linked onto FSI Language Courses.


For fun, I then went into the subject of Culture, Arts and Music. I found the Take Lessons link http://takelessons.com/ and clicked on it because one day I hope to take lessons in guitar. The great thing about this website is that you can search by type of lesson and zipcode.

I also found the link Craftpop, http://craftpop.com/. This is a great site for all of you crafty people and even people like me who aren't so crafty, but like crafts. I went to the Beauty and Bath link because I love bathing products - lotions, cremes, hair products. I found a simple lip moisturizer that can be made with honey and olive oil. Hmm.. I'll have to try it out and see if it works! Bye bye dry lips..

1 comment:

Dan said...

Exploring the internet is not only fun but dangerous! I find myself spending way to much time pursuing these links, particularly the ones that relate to a passion of mine.

What are you reading now?