Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thing #7

I think 2.0 is awesome. I can see why people who love technology go all out happy and excited about this stuff. But then again I can also see how people question technology and are afraid of using it because it seems daunting.


The video is really interesting - I really liked how it showed how far along we've come from HTML to XML to having people who are not technology savvy being able to create a blog ~ someone like me! I also like how the video explains that 2.0 links people together and it is so true. Going back to loving flickr - I am always posting pictures on there and this is great because family and friends who are not here locally get to see all the updated pics of what's going on in my family's life - thus this is linking us together. Isn't technology wonderful?

I went into Library Journal's Technology Review and read Product Pipeline: iPhone, iPod Touch, Kindle by Christopher Harris. He points out the positives and negatives for librarians on these technological items. I can see how if you are a librarian for a bookmobile or a wi-fi campus, you would need a gadget to be able to connect to databases, library catalog, etc. So having something lightweight that has user-friendly connections is a must for these librarians. Though I haven't had the chance to use these gadgets myself, I would think that they are valuable to those who do.

1 comment:

Faen Everlorn said...

You are correct without proper secruity devices, database use super risky with an external connection. So many things could go wrong, and so many people could connect and possibly do horrible things to the database itself. :(